You should apologise to your mother in law if you accidentally shrink your husband's jumper in the wash, you can never ask another adult WTF they're doing making the same mistake twice and other hot takes
2021.10.28 10:58 Falsgrave You should apologise to your mother in law if you accidentally shrink your husband's jumper in the wash, you can never ask another adult WTF they're doing making the same mistake twice and other hot takes
I'm not surprised OP has fled the thread.
submitted by Falsgrave to MumsnetMadness [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 southhparkk side effects
as far as side effects are concerned when it comes to v* is “less than 1 in 100” common? is that a lot of people that would v* from it?
submitted by southhparkk to emetophobia [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 YtSylvatail123 Darkrai raid 7894 3102 4092
7894 3102 4092
submitted by YtSylvatail123 to PokemonGoFriends [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 kaitylady13 Good morning! Do these toes get morning kisses?
submitted by kaitylady13 to Feetishh [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 jeniwreni Some art for the workshop wall
2021.10.28 10:58 lindahun8 Looking for help with transportation
Hy everyone, I'd like to ask for a little help from you guys. I'd like to know the fastest route from Malmö Airport (MMX) to Malmöhassan hotel (the specific address is Mässgatan 6, 215 32 Malmö), by train or bus. The travel date is 16th of Nov. Could you please help me with the transportation or tell me where can I find further information? Google Maps seems to be no use and I can't find train or bus lines schedules and fees.
Thank you so much!
submitted by lindahun8 to Malmoe [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 DrHaroldElam Can we talk about $LCID?
| || $LCID There is a conversation I wanted to start concerning the EV Space - is there room for another stock that will perform like Tesla in a shorter time frame? and The Question to those who live and breathe here is that Company Lucid? - Many believe the stock will see Trip Digits in the Fourth Quarter related to the Launch, manufacturing and distribution of Lucid Air..... |
The stock has seen highs of $64... is there more room for growth this quarter? today the stock is trading up with a Daily PT of $32... This can be a $500 stock.....
The Company’s car, Lucid Air, is a sedan. It features interior space in a mid-size exterior footprint. It uses electric vehicle technology for each type of car it builds. Its EV cars have a horsepower of approximately 1,080 and a range of approximately 500 miles per charge. The Company’s Lucid application provides an in-car experience. It offers Air Dream Edition, Air Grand Touring, Air Touring and Air Pure. The Company’s studios and service centers are located across California, Florida, Michigan, Illinois, New York City, Massachusetts, Washington, Arizona, Canada, Virginia, Texas and Colorado.
submitted by DrHaroldElam to wallstreetbets [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 greyfalcon333 Media Finally Admitting Biden a 'Cognitive Mess'
2021.10.28 10:58 PoopyMcpants PSA: There have been a lot of scam posts lately. Do not buy sweaters or shirts from any link you see.
I've removed multiple posts in the past day advertising shirts or sweatshirts. The sale of said shirts is IP infringing and illegal on the part of the seller.
Oftentimes they will link you to a store that looks legit, but but store is a pop up temporary store that people create via sites like shopify.
Oftentimes you will not receive the product and you will get no communication or a refund for your purchase. It's a scam with no recourse.
Do not buy these items and if you see one posted here mass report it and every comment in the thread so I can remove it.
submitted by PoopyMcpants to HorrorMovies [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 Grace676 I possessed my sister as she was going to school to prank her. It didn't take long for me to meet up with her best friend Jenny but as she got closer she smirked and pressed some pink remote thing and I nearly lost my balance from the sensation. My sister had a vibrator insider her, shit.
2021.10.28 10:58 wholelottacolors ULPT Request: Good excuse to get my online Interpersonal Communications teacher to let me do a group project solo?
I’m in this online Interpersonal Communications class and we have this group project we have to do at the end of the course. I get that me doing it solo would completely kill the purpose of the course, but do you think there’s literally ANYTHING i can tell her to let me do it solo?… i’m willing to take only half credit too.
submitted by wholelottacolors to UnethicalLifeProTips [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 romain34230 Actualité : Netflix officialise son festival en salles en partenariat avec la Cinémathèque et l'Institut Lumière
2021.10.28 10:58 keyh Light "install" resulted in loss of electricity to a few places in the house
I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this, please ignore and point me in the right direction if there is a better "Get electric help" place. I feel like this is going to end up a "Hire an Electrician" anyway.
I have a beam running across a room with a vaulted ceiling which had lights on top of it. The lights have slowly died since I bought the house and I decided to go up and replace it. (Possible trigger warning for scary electric setup).
The lights were essentially LED shop lights sitting inside the top portion of the wooden beam, connected to a power strip (with surge protector) from the 90s that was shoved down inside the beam which was connected to an aluminum outlet box. I tore out all of the shop lights that were there as well as their cords. I also took out the power strip, planning to replace it with a newebetter one.
In the meantime though, I wanted to install the new lights that I purchased to see if they were "good enough" or if I needed to buy different ones when I went to replace the surge protector. I plugged the new lights into the outlet that was up there, hit the switch, the light came on, then went off, along with another light that I had on in the kitchen. I ended up losing an outlet near the kitchen, the kitchen lights, my bathroom light next to the kitchen, and this outlet on top of the beam.
The strange thing is that the bathroom light I "know" (i.e. am 80% certain, with my certainty waning because of this incident) is on a different circuit breaker and there are things on the breaker with the kitchen light/beam outlet/kitchen outlet that are working. Regardless, I went down and reset the 2 breakers that these lights were on "just in case" and nothing came back on.
As I said, I feel like hiring an electrician is really my only option here, but I figured I'd see if anyone could provide some additional direction (or even possibilities on what happened). So that I can gather additional information to make it easier on them.
submitted by keyh to electricians [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 thecaleb112 Finally got this 2001 Tacoma bed painted cement gray to match the new paint on the truck! thinking about lifting the Taco and putting some new wheels on it
2021.10.28 10:58 bruhbruhdumddumd Is this a good chart to follow?
2021.10.28 10:58 CIDproductions I’ll be selling a some of my Bitcoins to buy some Shiba Inu tokens…not financial advice I just like massive gains that Shiba has been having lately. 📈
submitted by CIDproductions to Bitcoin [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 Greenscarf_005 Minecraft MLG Pro
2021.10.28 10:58 Vedose Can you add and remove things like vampirism with the armory?
submitted by Vedose to elderscrollsonline [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 Anglicanpolitics123 Pope Francis has accepted the invitation to come to Canada and address the crimes and injustices residential schools. Here are basic facts on the topic of residential schools and reconciliation.
After the discovery of the unmarked graves of residential schools the Pope has accepted the invitation of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops to come to Canada and address the residential school situation. I have done this before but I want to create a catalogue of facts on residential schools so that people understand them. It is a catalogue of the history of residential schools, as well as facts about reconciliation itself. I am going to be doing this in a question and answer format. This history is also going to be answering questions such as "who was in charge when this happened" and "that happened" and what has been done and still has to be done to address residential schools. So here goes.
(1)What is a residential school?
(2)When was the first residential school operated?
- They were boarding schools that indigenous youth went to as part of a process of forced assimilation and Christianisation in order to Europeanise them. The idea was to separate them from their families and cultures as a way to assimilate them into the wider Canadian culture.
(3)When did the residential school system start?
- While there were projects similar to it going all the way back to the 17th century in places like Quebec, the first official residential school was the Mohawk institute. This was ran by the Anglican Church(my Church) from 1828 all the way to the 1990s.
(4)Who was the Prime Minister when the residential school system started?
- The residential school system started in 1883 when the Canadian Parliament introduced an amendment to the Indian Act was introduced establishing the system. They lasted till 1997.
(5)What was the system of Canadian residential schools based on?
- The Prime Minister of Canada at the time was John A Macdonald, the founder of Confederation who founded the nation of Canada in 1867.
(6)Who originated the idea of the residential school system in Canada?
- Canadian residential schools as a system was based on the American Indian Boarding schools. These Boarding schools were introduced under American President and former Union General under Abraham Lincoln Ulysses S Grant. Grant thought that instead of going to war with Native Americans, which he saw as "immoral", he thought assimilation and education would be more "compassionate". This would of course prove to be a Dark legacy.
- Grant's proposals were then carried on by President Rutherford B Hayes. It was during Rutherford B Hayes's presidency that Prime Minister John A Macdonald sent a delegation of Canadian MPs to study the topic of Indian Boarding Schools. It was from this delegation that MP and former Globe journalist Nicholas Davin issued his famous "Davin Report". The Davin Report would become the basis of John A Macdonald's policy.
(7)Who was the Pope when Canada as a nation formed?
- Much of the origins of the Canadian residential school system in Canada lay at the feet of Methodist Minister and education activist Egerton Ryerson, from whom Ryerson University got its name. Ryerson was an education activist and populist. Before Canada was a nation, when it was still the Province of Canada under the British Crown, Ryerson pioneered the public education system. He sought a system of forced assimilation through education and he thought that was the best for Aboriginal people. He was also the one who introduced racial segregation against blacks into education in Canada.
(8)Who was the Pope when Canadian residential schools started?
- The Pope at the time of Canadian Confederation in 1867 would have been Pope Pius IX
(9)Where the Popes involved in the establishment of Canadian residential schools?
- The person who was Pope when Canadian residential schools started was Pope Leo XIII
(10)Who were the key actors involved in the formation of the residential schools
- There is no evidence that the Popes were involved in the establishment of the Canadian residential school system. The Catholic Church is an institution that has multiple levels of authority. There are some decisions that are taken where the Vatican at the very top is involved. There are other decisions that are taken where it is the National Bishops of each jurisdiction that do so without the involvement of the Vatican. It is Akin to the relationship between the Federal Government and the State governments in America.
- The Popes at the time Canadian Confederation and the formation of residential schools would have been focused on the aftermath of Italian Unification, where the Italian States under Sardinia united to invade the Papal States in 1871 and bring an ended to the Papal States as a nation in a process of forced conquest and assimilation that led to the birth of Italy as a nation. There after the Pope would become a prisoner of the Vatican where he had no state to rule over.
(11)Why did the Federal Government use the Churches?
- The Federal Government of Canada through the Department of Indian Affairs as well as through the Indian Act which was used as an instrument of forced assimilation.
- The Churches. And not just one Church. The Catholic Church was involved but others were involved as well. The Anglican Church. The Methodist Churches. The Presbyterian Church. The United Church. The Mennonite Churches.
- The RCMP. The Mounted Police of Canada who are the equivalent of the FBI. They were involved in ensuring that indigenous children went to these schools. When they reached a certain ages the RCMP officers as well as the Indian agents would knock on the doors of First Nations parents to make sure that their children were ready for the bus rides that would take them to residential schools where the parents would not see them after that.
(12)Who was responsible for the abuses at residential schools
- Initially John A Macdonald actually didn't plan to use the Churches. He wanted to use the public education system. However the Canadian Constitution prevented this due to the fact that there was a separation of powers. Education fell under the jurisdiction of the Provinces. Therefore Macdonald had to find another institution that he could instrumentalise for his goal of assimilation. He found that in the Churches due to the fact that they had already been involved in education. He would use the Churches to his advantage and establish a system that was also cost free since the Churches weren't a government institution. The lack of costs to the federal government, as well as the fact that they weren't public schools allowed Macdonald to set up a system that was cost free as well as technically in the bounds of the Canadian Constitution.
(13) Who was responsible for the deaths at residential schools
- The Churches directly and the Federal Government indirectly. The Churches directly because it was religious officials who were involved in the physical and sexual abuse of these children at residential schools. This included rape, physical beatings by ministers, priests and nuns on indigenous children that spoke their language, as well as the infamous electric chair at St Anne's residential school where children were forced into a most sadistic form of punishment.
- The Federal Government is more indirectly responsible because by setting up a residential school system to begin with that almost guaranteed abuse. Boarding schools in general are notorious for abuse. You ad in the horrific mix of institutionalised racism and colonialism and you have a toxic mix. In addition, they established overcrowded class rooms with the minimal resources they gave to the Churches as well as low salaries and low pay for staff running residential schools. They assumed that because they were Churches and they had vows, they didn't need the pay and so engaged in a consistent policy of underpaying the staff. An undertrained, unpayed staff teaching overcrowded class rooms in a racist and colonial environment is not a good mix.
(14)When were indigenous peoples "forced" to go to residential schools?
- While the crimes and abuses were directly the fault of Church officials who also shielded many of their own from accountability, the actual deaths were the fault of the Federal Government and the Health Care services of Canada. Why? The main causes of death according to the TRC Report were TB(Tuberculosis), the Spanish Influenza of 1918, the 1957 Flu Pandemic, as well as the nutrition experiments of Health Canada.
- TB was the number one cause of death in early Canadian society across the board. For instance a survey done in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan found that among Canadian children across the board, half were diagnoses with TB. It just so happen that it affected indigenous communities at a much worst rate. The Spanish Flu also had a detrimental affect. Killing millions globally, it had a disproportionate impact in Canada both in Quebec and among First Nations communities. At this time the Churches actually asked the feds to increase their funding cap so they could build Sanitoriums for children affected by the Flu but the feds refused.
- The Federal government was also know to have done nutrition experiments where they intentionally restricted funding for food so that they could limit the diet of First Nations kids for medical research. For instance at Kamloops, they depended on livestock to grow milk which was a key part of the diet for the kids. When the live stock died off, the feds refused to restock. What made things worst was that this was during the Great Depression so whatever limits were on funding were cut even more. And yet for some reason the federal government had enough funds for these nutrition experiments. These experiments lead directly to child deaths in places like Kamloops. Some of the unmarked graves found are likely from these nutrition experiments conducted by the federal government.
(15)Who was the Prime Minister when compulsory attendance was made?
- Compulsive attendance at residential schools lasted from 1894 to 1948. This might surprise people that not all of the time period of the residential schools existence where indigenous communities forced to go in a strictly legal sense. But there is much more to the story.
- The Canadian Government after 1948, even though it ended compulsory attendance in a technical sense, make it necessary if indigenous communities wanted to receive the benefits of the family allowance act. So in practise they used other methods to compel them to go, even if it wasn't so in a strictly technically sense.
(16)Who was the Prime Minister when compulsory attendance ended in 1948?
- The Prime Minister at the time would have been Liberal PM John Sparrow Thompson who was in power from 1892-1894.
(17)When did Church administration of the residential schools end?
- The Prime Minister at the time would have been Liberal PM Louis St Laurent. As mentioned, though compulsory attendance ended during his period, you still had the federal governments conditions under the Family Allowance act introduced by his predecessor Mackenzie King.
- Louis St Laurent's government also ended the obscene nutrition experiments. At the same time it was also his government that expanded residential schools North among the Inuit people in the 50s.
(18)Who was the Prime Minister when Church Administration ended?
- Many would say that this question has already been answered. 1997, when the last residential schools were shut down. False. The date when residential schools were shut down and the date when the Church administration over them are not the same. Church administration over residential schools ended in 1969. What happened was the Federal government took direct control over the administration of residential schools for the last 28 years of its existence.
(19)Who was Pope when Church administration of the residential schools ended?
- The Prime Minister would have been Pierre Elliot Trudeau, the father of the current PM Justin Trudeau
(20)Who was the Prime Minister when the Last residential schools closed in 1997?
- The Pope at the time would have been Pope Paul VI. Paul VI was the Pope of the Second Vatican Council along with Pope John XXIII who came before him. The Second Vatican Council for anyone who knows initiated massive changes in how the Catholic Church approaches the modern world on questions ranging from human rights, to other faiths, to questions around colonialism. This had far reaching impacts from places like Latin America with the struggles for social justice there, to Eastern Europe with the struggle for human rights against Totalitarianism that the Church was involved in. In Canada the impact was a change in how the Church approached First Nations issues. This included basic things from the liturgy which started to be celebrated incorporating First Nations perspectives from indigenous Catholics, to a major change which ended in the Catholic Church ending its formal running of the schools. Paul VI and John XXIII unwittingly and indirectly helped end this process. Though it is unknown if they would have known about it, especially John XXIII who died in 1963.
(21)Who was the Pope when the last residential schools were closed in 1997?
- The Prime Minister would have been Liberal PM Jean Chretien. He was also Indian Affairs Minister under Pierre Trudeau and would have been in charge of the residential schools file in the 60s and 70s.
(22)What was the denominational break down of who ran residential schools
- The Pope was Pope John Paul II. Pope John Paul II made 3 official visits to Canada. One in 1984. The other in 1987. And the third in 2002 for World Youth Day. During his first two visits he addressed First Nations communities and the need for a new relationship and an end to the colonial legacy, though he did not speak about residential schools directly.
(23)Why weren't residential schools immediately shut down from the time Church administration ended?
- The Catholic Church ran around 60% of the residential schools. The Anglican Church ran around 30%. The other Churches involved ran a total of 10% combined.
- As mentioned, the Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Mennonite, Presbyterian and United Churches were involved. Denominations who would not have been involved would include groups such as Baptist Churches(who were involved in Indian Boarding Schools in America though) as well as Orthodox Churches, who hardly had a presence in Canada.
(24)When did apologies by the Federal government and Federal institutions start?
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau's government adopted a controversial tactic of gradually phasing out the residential schools instead of immediately shutting them down. This was partly because the Federal government had taken direct control of the administration of the residential schools. Another reason which might surprise people is this. It wasn't just the feds that took direct control of the running of residential schools. Certain First Nations communities took control of the administration of the residential schools so they could transform them into First Nations educational institutions. This was done because of a mistrust of Federal government administration.
- This created a complicated dynamic in terms of sorting out which schools would be phased out, shut down immediately, or handed over to First Nations control.
(25)When did Church apologies start?
- They started under Jean Chretien's government after the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Affairs was finished in 1996. In 1998 the Chretien government gave an apology. Later on in 2004 the RCMP gave an apology for its role in residential schools. In 2008 in front of Parliament the Stephen Harper government issued a formal apology for the role the Federal Government played in the residential schools system.
(26)Where was the current Pope(Francis) when residential schools were taking place.
- The United Church issued an apology in 1986 over residential schools. The Anglican Church under Primate Michael Peers issued a formal apology in 1993 at its synod which included indigenous people in positions of leadership in the Anglican Church. The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops issued an apology in 1991 and was reiterated again in 2021. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate issued an apology in 1991 and the Superior General of the Jesuit Order issued an apology in 1993.
(27)When did Pope Francis learn about the residential school system in Canada?
- Pope Francis was elected in 2013. At the time residential schools were operating in Canada, he would have been a priest and then a bishop living in Buenos Aires, Argentina as Jorge Mario Bergoglio. So he would have been in a different continent in Latin America when the Canadian residential schools were operating.
(28)How much did the Vatican know about residential schools in Canada?
- He would have learned about the residential school system in Canada in 2015 right after the Canadian Truth and Reconciliation commission was completed. Specifically he would have heard about it when Prime Minister Stephen Harper visited the Vatican in the Summer of 2015 and spoke about the issue. He would have also heard about the topic again when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited in 2017.
(29)Why is a Papal apology on Canadian soil important?
- As mentioned, the Vatican was not involved in the establishment of the residential school system in Canada. There were however instances where it has been alleged that reports were going in to the Vatican about what was happened. This is largely coming from police records on Canada on the issue. We won't know the full extent of that knowledge until the archives on this topic are opened in the Vatican.
- There was one direct instance that involved the Vatican in the residential school topic. This was an incident that also involved the BC Police, the Canadian Catholic Bishops, and the Department of Indian Affairs in Canada. There were abusive priests in the residential schools in particular. The BC police surprisingly in the 1930s tried to have them prosecuted. The Department of Indian Affairs though stepped in and tried to cover up the situation. So did the Canadian Bishops Conference at the time. Eventually one of the abusive priests(I'm not sure who) actually sought to escape by moving to Rome. The Vatican authorities were alerted to his case and actually had him sent back to Canada rather than hide in Rome. This would have been under Pope Pius XI. So in this strange story the Canadian Bishops and the Department of Indian Affairs were trying to cover up these abuses. While the BC Police and the Vatican to a certain extent were actually on the same page.
(30)Why didn't the Pope visit Canada up until now?
- It is important because this is what Call to Action 58 of the TRC calls for. It specifically states as follows : "We call upon the Pope to issue an apology to Survivors, their families, and communities for the Roman Catholic Church’s role in the spiritual, cultural, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis children in Catholic-run residential schools. We call for that apology to be similar to the 2010 apology issued to Irish victims of abuse and to occur within one year of the issuing of this Report and to be delivered by the Pope in Canada"(Call to Action 58)
- This Call to Action was formulated specifically as a request from residential school survivors after 7 years of the TRC process that started in 2008.
(31)Have Church records been handed over on residential schools?
- Presumably it is not because he's afraid to apologise. He has already apologised to indigenous communities in Bolivia in 2015 and again when he visited Mexico in 2016 and also during his trips to Peru and Chile in 2018.
- The reason has to do with both the Vatican and the Canadian Bishops. The Canadian Conference of Bishops had not issued the formal invitation for the Pope to travel to Canada. This is important because whenever there is a Papal visit it is a collaboration between the local Catholic Church and the national government of that area. Up until this point the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops had not issued the formal invitation. Why? Largely financial issues. The Canadian Bishops still have to deal with the payments that have to make to First Nations communities. The financial costs of a Papal visit untop of that seems to have been what the Conference of Bishops were considering at the time.
- At the Vatican's end, they had been postponing Francis's visit to Canada because they were postponing his visits to many countries. The Pope as a global leader receives invitations to visit multiple countries. Often times what happens is that because the invitations are a lot, they tend to postpone other visits. So in 2018 when this visit was postponed, the Vatican also postponed Francis's visits to his native Argentina, Spain and South Sudan. South Sudan especially issued a invitation due to the ongoing civil war there where hundreds of thousands were killed and the Catholic Church is involved in the peace process. The reality of COVID 19 made the postponement more prolonged.
- The Pope seems to also have been convinced initially that First Nations communities did not think an apology was important. That dealing with the material conditions affecting indigenous communities in Canada was more important that issuing an apology which were just words. That idea was possibly formed after his trip to Chile where he heard from indigenous groups there.
(32)What is the process when it comes to financial compensation by the Churches?
- Yes and no. When you read the TRC report, it relies explicitly on Church archival material. There are sections for instance where it uses images provided by the Anglican Church of Canada's archives as well as the United Church. The Catholic Church is the same. The different dioceses of Canada have handed over the archival materials that they have to the TRC commission.
- When it comes to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Catholic missionary order that ran 48 of the residential schools, while some of there records have been provided, others are located in what's called the "Codex Historicus". This is essentially a document that is a compilation of the missionary notes and diaries over the span of hundreds of years. During the TRC process the Oblates sought to have the Codex translated, as well as digitised so that the records would not be lost given the fact that in book form they wear and grow old. Since its a vast quantity of material the Oblates sought assistance from the federal government. After the TRC process ended in 2015 federal funds to have the records digitised and translated ended under the Trudeau government, making the translation of the documents for museums and other historical institutions where residential schools are talked about much slower. The momentum to have the Codex translated has picked up this year though for obvious reasons. In addition there is still the issue of access to the Vatican archives.
(33)How have the Churches fair in meeting their financial obligations?
- Financial Compensation by the Churches is guided by the Indian Residential school Settlement Act of 2006 which was brought about by a class action lawsuit initiated by survivors and their representatives. This laid out the guidelines for compensation to be paid by the major Christian denominations to First Nations communities
(34)Are there people alive who committed crimes at residential schools?
- Churches like the Anglican and United have met their financial obligations. The Anglican Church for instance fulfilled the Settlement Agreements requirements on them in 2008. The Catholic Church still as around 20 million outstanding in payments and here are the reasons why.
- The requirements that the Indian Residential School Settlement Act of 2006 made on the Catholic Church is that 3 types of payments would be made. The first is cash payments of 29 million. The second are what's called "In-kind" payments of 25 million. The third are what's called "Best efforts" payments of 25 million. The Catholic Church successfully made the first 2 payments, the cash and in kind payments but failed on the third. Why?
- The nature of the "Best-efforts" payments was that it was suppose to be a joint fundraiser between the Church and corporate donors and sponsors. To get corporate donors on board the Catholic Church even got Phil Fontaine, the former Chief of the Assembly of First Nations to join in this effort as well as Mary Simon, who is now the first Aboriginal Woman appointed as Governor General under Trudeau. Despite the role of the Church, as well as former Chief of the Assembly of First Nation Phil Fontaine corporate donors and sponsors refused to join in the fundraising effort. So the Church only raised 1.2 million for the best efforts. This is important because the Globe and Mail did stories in the summer say the Church had assets of 4 billion and could make all its payments. In a technical sense yes, but the legal agreement was that the last payment, the best efforts payment, had to be a joint commitment between the Churches and corporate donors. Corporate donors refused to step up(which shows you the anti indigenous racism in corporate circles in Canada, btw).
(35) Was residential schools specific to Canada as a country?
- Yes. Some have fled prosecution by going to other countries such as France in the case of some of the Oblate Brothers which has created a situation seeking their extradition so they can be tried and prosecuted for crimes against humanity. You had a similar situation in the Anglican Church with some priests being arrested as recently as 5 to 6 years ago.
(36)Were Canadian residential schools genocide?
- No. As mentioned Canada was influenced by the Board school system in the United States. More broadly the use of boarding schools as a form of assimilation became an accepted practise in the late 19th and early to mid 20th century globally. We it in America with Indian Boarding schools. We see it in Australia with Stolen Generations. And one country we see it in which people might not expect is the Soviet Union. Beginning under Joseph Stalin the ran residential schools with the goal of forced assimilation of the Siberian indigenous population. Of course unlike the residential schools in place like Canada, religion was not the instrument. If anything, anti religion was what was used to push these types of residential schools. So it was a system that existed globally in different shapes. But the goal was, assimilation.
(37)How many children were taken and how many died
- Yes. They were 100% categorically genocidal in nature. Denial or minimisation of this is what's called "Residential School Denialism". It is seen, especially for First Nations advocates, as being in the same league as say denial of the Armenian Genocide. It is a form of revisionist history. Genocide can take many shapes and forms. The person who coined the term "genocide" Rafael Lemkin explicitly stated that cultural genocide is one of the forms and expressions of genocide. So yes, this was a genocidal institution presided over by state and church.
- 150,000 were taken to residential schools. The TRC estimate said 6000 died but also said the estimates could be higher. The discover of unmarked graves is bearing this out as the numbers have reached over 7300.
So these are some basic facts on residential schools in the context of the Pope accepting the invitation to come to Canada. If people want to look up some of the things I am saying they can look into the TRC documents themselves
Link: https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Principles_English_Web.pdf https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Survivors_Speak_English_Web.pdf https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
Here are links also commenting generally on the Pope's visit as well as the Churches an the reconciliation process
Link: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/10/27/if-pope-francis-is-coming-to-canada-heres-what-indigenous-leaders-say-he-must-do.html https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pope-francis-coming-to-canada-request-canadian-bishops-1.6228037 https://globalnews.ca/news/8331525/pope-francis-tkemlups-te-secwepemc-nation-canada/ https://nationalpost.com/opinion/fr-raymond-j-de-souza-the-truth-about-the-churchs-obligation-to-aboriginals https://nationalpost.com/opinion/raymond-j-de-souza-pope-francis-visit-to-canada-will-be-no-easy-feat-but-will-be-of-great-importance
submitted by Anglicanpolitics123
to Christianity [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 Admirable-Button-916 Cutie Pies
2021.10.28 10:58 ebradio [FRESH] She & Him - It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
2021.10.28 10:58 HeyLukas1 M19, Ohio, Looking for someone spontaneous!
Hello everyone! You can call me Lukas and I'm a 19 year old guy from Ohio! I'm looking for anyone that shares any fellow interests to hit me up!
My interests include: - hiking - camping - running - gaming - cooking - working out (just started so if theres a lifter bro out there, hmu) - talking in general.
Even if you're not interested in any of my hobbies, but still want to hmu, don't be afraid to do so!
My discord is "Mountain Man#4335"
submitted by HeyLukas1 to MakeNewFriendsHere [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 NigmaTT WHY IS RPG MAKER THAT MUCH EXPENSIVE?
submitted by NigmaTT to RPGMaker [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 DOGEOCOLYPSE $NEGG STOCK PUMPING TODAY
submitted by DOGEOCOLYPSE to Shortsqueeze [link] [comments]
2021.10.28 10:58 moophthemoomoo Whole lotta emergency vehicles.
Relatively close to Union Terminal. More than usual. Big accident or another shooting?
submitted by moophthemoomoo to cincinnati [link] [comments]